Recreational Boat Accidents
Recreational boat accidents on Lake Erie are common, unfortunately. That’s why it is very important for all boatowners in Western New York to understand the process of filing a boat accident personal injury claim. Our experienced Hamburg boat accident attorneys will fight vigorously to defend your rights and recover the compensation that you and your family deserve. Contact us today for a free case evaluation.
Recreational Boat Accidents | Causes
There are inherent risks in boating, and that’s why boat operators must adhere to numerous safety regulations. Unfortunately, these regulations don’t protect against reckless or careless behavior, operator inexperience, or mechanical malfunctions – some of the most common causes of boating accidents.
Operator negligence is often the cause of many boating accidents, which might include:
- Collisions with boats, water skiers, watercraft
- Collision with fixed objects, e.g. decks, dams, buoys
- Flooding/swamping or mechanical malfunction
- Falls overboard, slips/falls onboard
Regardless of the cause of an accident, an experienced personal injury lawyer can help you protect your rights and fight for compensation if you’ve sustained injuries.
Recreational Boat Accidents | Liability
An operator can be deemed negligent for many different reasons. Some of the most common include:
- Operators that do not adhere to safety precautions, e.g. excessive speed or insufficient onboard safety devices
- Operating a boat under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Creating a wake that causes another boat to capsize or become damaged
- Operating a boat in unsafe weather conditions
- Operating a vessel that hasn’t been properly maintained
These are just a few examples of operator negligence. There are many more. It’s your attorney’s responsibility to investigate and determine the liable party in the accident. Typically, that includes a thorough investigation of the accident and the steps that led up to it. Your attorney may also contact witnesses, collect reports from investigators and first responders, and/or work with experts to reconstruct the accident.
Recreational Boat Accidents | Contact Our Office
If you’ve been injured in a boating accident, don’t hesitate to call Chiacchia & Fleming today. We provide 100% free, no-obligation case evaluations for victims and their families. Talk with an experienced Hamburg boat accident lawyer today about your case, learn what next steps to take, and how we can help you.