Hamburg Truck Accident Lawyer
Truck accidents cause numerous physical, emotional and financial pains for victims and their families. Have you or a loved one been involved in a truck accident? An experienced Hamburg truck accident lawyer at Chiacchia & Fleming can help.
Truck accidents are on the rise in the U.S. According to the latest NHTSA statistics, accidents involving semi-trucks have risen 17% since 2009. Today, this type of accident accounts for more than 3,800 deaths each year in the U.S.
Have you or a loved one been injured in a truck accident? The attorneys at (LAW FIRM) are here to protect your rights and help you recover the compensation you deserve.
Contact an experienced Hamburg truck accident lawyer who understands what you’re going through. After an accident, you should be concerned with getting better – not fighting with trucking companies and insurance adjusters. That’s our job. Our team will help you manage legal process and fight for the maximum compensation for you and your family. Call today for a free case evaluation.
How a Hamburg Truck Accident Lawyer Can Help
To help prevent trucking accidents, professional truck drivers must adhere to specific federal, state and local rules and regulations. Unfortunately, the industry is notorious for bypassing these laws and regulations.
Truck drivers are often pressured to work long hours without sufficient sleeping breaks, and unsafe equipment is used without proper maintenance. These accidents may be caused by numerous other factors, including driver drug/alcohol use, distracted driving, or improper Commercial Driver’s License training.
A trucking company or truck driver’s negligence puts innocent drivers in harm’s way. Yet, the challenge for victims is proving the negligence of the driver or trucking company. Major trucking companies are protected by aggressive legal departments and million-dollar insurance policies. These companies often bully victims into accepting undervalued settlements that don’t fully cover costs caused by their emotional, physical and financial suffering.
A qualified Hamburg truck accident lawyer will work hard to help victims defend their rights and fight for immediate compensation to pay for medical bills and lost wages. When you hire a lawyer, your lawyer will investigate your accident, determine fault, and file claims with insurance companies on your behalf.
At Chiacchia & Fleming, our process starts with a thorough investigation of your accident. This helps us prove negligence and strengthen your case. Our investigation process includes:
- Reconstructing the accident scene with industry experts
- Finding and collecting black box information
- Meeting with investigators and first-responders to gather information about the accident
- Investigating a trucking company’s safety records
- Determining if motor safety regulation were violated
- Determining fault in the case
Types of Compensation for Truck Accident Victims
Victims and their families are forced to respond to new stresses following an accident. Medical bills and lost wages puts financial strain on families, and physical pain and emotional stress can take years of recovery. Following a fatal accident, families and survivors may experience a lifetime of emotional distress.
Victims are entitled to financial compensation to pay for the financial, physical and emotional burdens of an accident. Those injured in trucking accidents have two types of compensation available to them: Compensatory and punitive damages.
Compensatory Damages. Compensatory damages help victims pay for the immediate and long-term consequences of an accident. Compensatory damages help cover:
- Medical bills and rehabilitation
- Lost wages and disability
- Loss of normal life (e.g. not being able to return to hobbies)
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium (e.g. damages for personal relationship strife)
Punitive Damages. Punitive damages are awarded in addition to compensatory damages. This type of compensation is awarded by the jury if your case goes to trial, and it is used as a financial punishment for gross negligence or malice. Ultimately, your attorney can help you determine if punitive damages are an avenue to pursue in your case.
What to Do If You’ve Been Involved in an Accident
In the immediate aftermath of a truck accident, you may be badly injured or in shock. The safety of yourself and your passengers should be your top concern. If you’re able to, there are several steps you can take help protect your case.
- Call 911 – Contact first responders immediately if you’re able to. Your safety and the safety of your passengers should be your most important concern. Wait for medical help at the scene. If you’re in harm’s way, move to a safe location within visible distance of the scene.
- Talk with Police – You may be in shock or seriously hurt following an accident. In this case, you won’t be able to talk with law enforcement. Yet, police officers will want to hear your recollection of the accident and the steps that led up to it. Provide them with as many details as you can remember, but do not admit fault.
- Collect Evidence from the Scene – If you’re able to, begin collecting evidence. Take photographs and videos of the scene with your cellphone, and collect the names and contact information of witnesses. Additionally, document any injuries that you might have with photos and note where you feel pain.
- Do Not Admit Fault – The trucking company’s lawyers and insurance companies may contact you. You’re not required to talk with them. In fact, it’s best that you don’t. If you do talk with them, DO NOT admit fault. This can be used to harm your case, even if you inaccurately admit to being at fault. The best solution: Refer any legal or insurance inquiries to your lawyer.
- Seek Professional Legal Advice – The legal process can be overwhelming. An attorney helps you manage the process immediately and fights for immediate compensation to cover medical bills, lost wages, etc. You can contact a lawyer from the scene, if you’re able to, or within a few days of your accident. The key is to move quickly: A lawyer will help you protect your rights immediately following an accident.
Request a FREE Case Evaluation
If you’ve been injured in a truck accident, don’t hesitate to call Chiacchia & Fleming today. We provide 100% free, no-obligation case evaluations for victims and their families. Talk with an experienced Hamburg truck accident lawyer today about your case, learn what next steps to take, and how we can help you.