Hamburg Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
A qualified Hamburg motorcycle accident lawyer can help victims and their families fight for compensation and manage the legal process.
Motorcycle accidents are often horrific and life-altering for victims. In the U.S., for example, nearly 80% of accidents result in injury or death. In New York, motorcycle accidents cause more than 150 deaths per year. Often, these accidents are of no fault of the motorcyclist.
In fact, around two-thirds of accidents are caused by other motorists failing to yield the right of way. If you’ve been injured in an accident, you and your family may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and suffering.
A Hamburg motorcycle accident lawyer can help. A qualified lawyer will protect you against undervalued settlements from insurance companies, ensure you receive the maximum compensation for your injuries, and manage the entire legal process, so that you can focus on getting better.
If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident in Western New York, we want to help. Call us today for a free case evaluation and to learn more about your rights.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents are common in New York, and often, they result in significant injuries for the motorcyclist. In fact, according to state statistics, motorcycle accidents result in nearly 4,500 emergency room visits each year and almost 150 deaths per year.
Unfortunately, this type of accident is rarely caused by the motorcyclist. The most common reasons for a motorist-caused accident include:
- Unsafe lane changes, e.g. failing to check a blind spot or signal a lane change
- Opening car doors into oncoming traffic
- Reckless driving and excessive speed
- Driving under the influence
- Following too closely
- Sudden stops
- Driver inexperience
Ultimately, motorists who cause a motorcycle accident may face civil or criminal liability. When you hire a Hamburg motorcycle accident lawyer, your attorney is responsible for determining fault and helping to protect your rights.
How an Experienced Hamburg Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Can Help
A personal injury attorney helps you build a case and manage the legal process in a number of ways. Your attorney may help with:
- Filing legal paperwork
- Investigating the cause of your accident
- Determining who is at fault
- Contacting witnesses and law enforcement
- Working with experts to recreate the accident
- Filing claims on your behalf
- Meeting with the negligent party’s lawyers
- Negotiating with the negligent party’s insurance company
Unfortunately, victims are often harassed by insurance companies and lawyers of the negligent party. These companies often bully victims or offer undervalued settlements/compensation for your injuries.
Your lawyer is your advocate against aggressive behavior. You are not legally required to discuss your case with insurance companies or lawyers for the negligent party. Any correspond from these parties should be forwarded to your attorney.
Types of Compensation for Victims
Victims of motorcycle accidents face new financial and physical challenges. They may be suffering from horrific pain, disfigurement or emotional distress. Medical fees, lost wages, and vehicle repairs create new financial stresses.
Victims are entitled to compensation for any and all emotional, physical and financial costs associated with the accident. There are two types of compensation: Compensatory and punitive damages.
Compensatory damages. Compensatory damages cover any out-of-pocket and future costs related to the accident, and are provided to make a victim “whole” following an accident. Compensatory damages may help cover:
- Medical bills and physical therapy costs
- Lost wages, future loss of income
- Property damage
- Disability or disfigurement
- Loss of normal life
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
Punitive damages. Cases in which gross negligence or malice was a factor, victims may be entitled to punitive damages. This type of compensation acts as a financial punishment for the negligent party, and it is awarded by a jury if your case goes to trial. Your lawyer will help you determine if you are entitled to punitive damages.
What to Do If You’ve Been in a Motorcycle Accident
In the immediate aftermath of an accident, your health and safety are the most pressing concerns. Seek medical attention immediately. If you’re unable to contact first responders, witnesses or other motorists should contact authorities for you. A few other helpful tips include:
- Move from Harm’s Way – If you’re able to, you should move to a safe place near the accident scene if you’re in the path of oncoming traffic.
- Call 911 – Even in minor accidents, you should contact police. Do not walk away from an accident without talking with law enforcement, even if you do not notice physical pain or property damage.
- Talking with Investigators – Police officers on the scene will collect statements from affected parties. Provide as much detail as you can remember regarding the steps that led up to the accident, but do not admit fault.
- Collect Evidence – If you’re able to, take photos and videos from the scene using your cellphone. Additionally, collect names and phone numbers of any witnesses, note the weather and road conditions, and document any physical or property damage. Be sure to ask for the name and insurance information for other motorists involved in the accident.
- Do Not Admit Fault – When talking with law enforcement, other motorists, witnesses at the scene, or insurance companies, do not admit fault. This is important. Any admission of fault can hurt your case.
- Seek Legal Advice – Contact a motorcycle accident lawyer as soon as you’re able to. Your lawyer will file claims on your behalf, manage any negotiations, and serve as your advocate throughout the process.
Request a Free Case Evaluation
If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident, we want to help. Our attorneys are experienced in motorcycle cases, and we can help you successfully protect your rights and earn maximum compensation for your injuries. We offer free, no-obligation case evaluations. Contact an experienced Hamburg motorcycle accident lawyer today to learn more about your legal options.