Going to Canada with a DWI

Can You Go to Canada with a DWI or DUI?

Check out the following educational legal video about going to Canada with a DWI on your record by Tiffany M. Kopacz, one of our experienced DWI lawyers in Hamburg, NY.

Download Our Free DWI Guide

Because Buffalo is a city along the New York-Ontario border, a frequent question from clients who have had alcohol-related driving conviction is whether they can cross into Canada. The answer is dependent on a number of factors. Unfortunately, even if you are only convicted of a minor DWAI offense, Canada can use that as a basis to deny you entry into the country. This decision is entirely at the discretion of the Canadian border officials.

If you are convicted of a DWI, DWAI, or DUI charge, your travel to Canada might be compromised. Before you schedule a trip across the border by car, consider instead traveling by plane to ensure you will be able to enter the country. If you have one of these convictions you can do one of two things in order to guarantee entry: you can apply for a temporary resident permit, which would allow you legal status in Canada for a finite period, or for a rehabilitation application.

If you have a conviction and you need to regularly travel to Canada for employment or recreational purposes, you need to consult with an attorney to make sure you file the appropriate application.

Going to Canada with a DWI may be problematic. To ensure you are still able to cross into the country, it’s important to retain one of our experienced DWI lawyers in Hamburg, NY as soon as possible to help protect your freedom and minimize your consequences. Contact Chiacchia & Fleming, LLP to schedule a free confidential consultation today.

Download Our Free DWI Guide

Related DWI Videos